Father Edward (Leo) Hayes
M, b. 26 November 1889, d. 17 November 1967
- Religious Leaders: Other Religious Leaders
- Father Edward (Leo) Hayes was born on 26 November 1889 in Fredreckton, New South Wales.
- He was the son of Edward Martin Hayes and Bridget Mary Flannery.
- Father Edward (Leo) Hayes and Bridget Hayes appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1943 living at Crow's Nest. Edward was a priest. Bridget may have been his mother not sister.
- Father Edward (Leo) Hayes died on 17 November 1967 at age 77. He was Arch Deacon of Oakey Parish at the time of his death.
- Edward was buried on 21 November 1967 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery.
- Here is his biography:-
Hayes, Edward Leo (1889–1967)
by Chris Hanlon
This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 14, (MUP), 1996
Edward Leo Hayes (1889-1967), Catholic priest and book collector, was born on 23 November 1889 at Frederickton, New South Wales, second of eight children of native-born parents Edward Martin Hayes, schoolteacher, and his wife Bridget Mary, née Flannery. Leo was educated at public schools where his father was headmaster, at Frederickton and at Palmer Island on the Clarence River. He left at the age of 15, worked in an auctioneer's office at Gunnedah until 1908 and was then appointed a clerk with the Darling Downs Co-operative Association, Toowoomba, Queensland. Having studied (from 1911) at St Columba's Seminary, Springwood, New South Wales, he proceeded to St Patrick's College, Manly, where he won a prize for dogmatic theology. On 30 November 1918 he was ordained priest for the Brisbane archdiocese by the Apostolic delegate Bartolomeo Cattaneo in St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney.
While he was assistant-priest (1918-22) at Ipswich, Hayes developed an interest in geology. He was parish priest at Kilcoy (1922-24) before ministering at Taroom (1924-27). Assigned to Chinchilla in 1928, he chose to join Toowoomba after it became a separate diocese in 1929. During his appointment to Crows Nest (1931-50) he was responsible for establishing churches at Haden, Coalbank and Perseverance Creek. He was next based at Oakey (1951-67) where he built St Monica's Church and a new convent school, as well as renovating the convent and presbytery.
Yet it was due to 'his hoard'—the Leo Hayes Collection—that he attained prominence. A 'small gnome of a man' with 'bower bird instincts', Hayes had bought his first book as a 7 year old and begun to gather birds eggs. Ultimately his collection comprised 25,000 books, pamphlets and periodicals (about two-thirds of them Australiana), and 30,000 manuscripts, letters and documents. It also included legal papers, press-cuttings, book-plates, stamps, notes and coins, postcards and photographs, maps, ferns, pistols, cattle-bells and Aboriginal artefacts. Hayes was a self-taught expert in many fields. In 1937, 1938 and 1940 he went on expeditions, organized by the Queensland branch of the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, to the Carnarvon ranges, Queensland; in 1942 he was elected a fellow of the society and awarded its Thomson medal for his work as geologist and ethnologist. His expertise led to recognition in academic and literary circles, and among the powerful and famous. Hayes's friends and acquaintances included John French, Dorothy Cottrell, Dame Mary Gilmore, John Howlett Ross, and General Douglas MacArthur who consulted his maps of the Pacific during World War II. Hayes was kindly, gentle and devout; he had the gift of a raconteur and was 'an eloquent public speaker'.
The University of Queensland conferred an honorary M.A. on Hayes in April 1967 and in October acquired the ailing archdeacon's wide-ranging collection (he wanted it to remain in Queensland) for a nominal price of $20,000. In appreciation, the university established two scholarships in his name, for research in Australian literary or historical sources. He died on 17 November 1967 in St Vincent's Hospital, Toowoomba, and was buried in the local cemetery.
Edward Martin Hayes
M, b. circa 1865
- Edward Martin Hayes was born circa 1865.
- Edward Martin Hayes married Bridget Mary Flannery in 1888 in Greta, New South Wales. Edward was a school teacher.
Children of Edward Martin Hayes and Bridget Mary Flannery
- Father Edward (Leo) Hayes b. 26 November 1889, d. 17 November 1967
- Bridget Hayes b. circa 1900
- Elisha Hayes witnessed the marriage of Samuel Staines and Eliza Sydie on 20 October 1842 in New South Wales, Australia; They were married by Bans. The minister was Thomas W Bodenham, Curate of St James. Samuel signed the certificate with a cross, Eliza signed her name. The transcription shows 20 October, but other researchers have transcripts showing October 26 - Samuel's shipping records showed he could both read and write, but he signed the register with a cross. Witnesses to the ceremony were Isaac Clyde of George Street South and Elisha Hayes of Castlereagh Street. The service was conducted by Thomas W. Bodenahm, curate.
- On 20 October 1842 Elisha Hayes lived in New South Wales, Australia.
Ellen Mary Hayes
F, b. circa 1874, d. 1934
- Charts: Descendants of Stephen Hooper
- Ellen Mary Hayes was born circa 1874.
- She was the daughter of Patrick Hayes and Ellen Maher.
- Ellen Mary Hayes married George Hooper, son of James Thomas Hooper and Ellen Allison, in 1897 in Queensland.
- Ellen Mary Hayes died in 1934 in Queensland.
Children of Ellen Mary Hayes and George Hooper
- Rubert Cecil Hooper b. 1898
- Gladys Hooper b. 1900, d. 1992
- George Cyril Hooper+ b. 1902, d. August 1981
- Douglas James Allison Hooper b. 1908
- James Thomas Hooper b. 1911
John Thomas Hayes
M, b. circa 1880
- John Thomas Hayes was born circa 1880.
- John Thomas Hayes married Bridget Byrne, daughter of Matthew Byrne and Margaret Dwyer, in 1914 in Queensland.
Mary Patricia Hayes
F, b. 30 September 1913, d. 14 July 1984
- Charts: Descendants of John Burgess
- Mary Patricia Hayes was born on 30 September 1913 in Latrobe. She was the daughter of John Michael Hayes and Hanora Bourke.
- At the age of 21 years, 7 months and 29 days, Mary Patricia Hayes married Walter Henry Crisp, son of Ablert Edward William Crisp and Mildred Mary Maria Burgess, on 29 May 1935 in Catholic Church, Wynyard.
- Mary Patricia Hayes died on 14 July 1984 in Launceston General Hospital at age 70.
M, b. circa 1880
- Michael Hayes was born circa 1880.
- Michael Hayes married Edith C Jamison in 1902 in Sydney.
Child of Michael Hayes and Edith C Jamison
- Edith Mona Hayes b. circa 1909, d. 1970
F, b. circa 1890, d. 1971
- Mildred Hayes was born circa 1890. She was the daughter of Thomas William Hayes and Ellen Curtis.
- Mildred Hayes married William Robert Luke in 1898 in Queensland.
- Mildred Hayes and William Robert Luke appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Djuan.
- Mildred Hayes died in 1971 in Queensland.
Children of Mildred Hayes and William Robert Luke
- Archibald Luke b. 1899, d. 1976
- Heather Luke b. 1901
- Sarah Mildred Luke b. 1904
- Violet Isabelle Luke b. 1911
- William Robert Luke b. 1913
F, b. 18 August 1912, d. 18 December 2004
- Olive Hayes was born on 18 August 1912 in Queensland.
- She was the daughter of Arthur Hayes and Rose Rebecca Paton.
- At the age of 18 years, Olive Hayes married Wilhelm Dioth, son of Wilhelm Dioth and Augusta Sperling, in 1931 in Queensland.
- Olive Hayes and Wilhelm Dioth appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1943 living at Pinelands. Wilhelm was a farmer.
- On 3 August 1983,her husband, Wilhelm Dioth died in Queensland.
- Olive Hayes died on 18 December 2004 at age 92.
- Olive was buried on 23 December 2004 in Bergen Djuan Cemetery. Her funeral notice read"DIOTH, Olive, late of Cooinda Hostel, Crows Nest, and formerly of Haden, passed away on 18th December, 2004, aged 92 years. Beloved wife of Wilhelm (dec'd), dearly loved mother and mother-in-law of Veronica and Clive Kahler, Bill and Sally, and loving nana and great-nana of their families. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to
attend OLIVE'S funeral, to be held at the Uniting Church, Crows Nest, service commencing at 10.30 a.m. TOMORROW (Thursday 23rd December,2004), followed by interment at the Bergen Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to Cooinda Hostel, Crows Nest Care Services, would be appreciated. ``IN GOD'S CARE''
Publication Date: 22/12/04."
M, b. circa 1850
- Patrick Hayes was born circa 1850.
- Patrick Hayes married Ellen Maher circa 1870.
Children of Patrick Hayes and Ellen Maher
- Ellen Mary Hayes+ b. circa 1874, d. 1934
- Catherine Agnes (Kate) Hayes+ b. 28 August 1876, d. 7 March 1957
Sarah Ann Hayes
F, b. 1877, d. 28 October 1951
- Charts: Descendants of John Burgess
- Sarah Ann Hayes was born in 1877.
- At the age of 23 years, Sarah Ann Hayes married Charles Edwin George Burgess, son of Henry Charles Burgess and Elizabeth Walters, on 21 February 1900 in Tasmania.
- On 16 August 1951,her husband, Charles Edwin George Burgess died in Tasmania at age 77. The Advocate reported:- "
DEATHS - BURGESS. - On August 16, 1951, at the residence of his daughter, 60 Park Street, Wynyard, Charles Edwin George Burgess, dearly loved husband of Sarah Annie Burgess, of Wynyard, loved father of Charles (Wynyard), Rhoda (Mrs.
M'Neair), Clara (Mrs. Streets, Wynyard), Vera (Mrs. C. Pillar, Victoria), Raymond (Wynyard), Royce (Boat Harbor), Cyril (Launceston), Jack (Japan),
Fred (deceased), Cecil (deceased); aged 77 years."
- Sarah Ann Hayes died on 28 October 1951 in Tasmania. The Advocate reported:- "Advocate (Burnie, Tas. : 1890 - 1954), Monday 29 October 1951, page 9
BURGESS-On October 28, 1951, at the Spencer Hospital, Wynyard, Sarah Ann,
dearly beloved wife of the late Charles Edwin B'urgess, of Wynyard, and
loved mother of Fred (deceased), Charles (Wynyard), Rhoda (Mrs. C. M'Neair,
Somerset), Clara (Mrs. Street, S(Wynyard), Vera (Mrs. Pillar, Port Fairy),
Ray (Wynyard), Royce (Boat Harbor), Cyril (Launceston) and Jack (Japan);
aged 74 years. R.I.P."
- Sarah was buried on 30 October 1951 in Wynyard Cemetery.
Children of Sarah Ann Hayes and Charles Edwin George Burgess
- Frederick Burgess b. circa 1898
- Charles Henry Burgess b. 26 August 1900, d. 5 August 1953
- Rhoda Beatrice Burgess b. 28 August 1902, d. 14 June 1991
- Clara May Burgess b. 15 June 1904
- Veronica Melva (Vera) Burgess b. 28 August 1906
- Raymond Burgess b. circa 1910
- Royce Cyril Burgess b. 1 September 1916, d. 19 June 1981
- Francis Maxwell Burgess b. 28 May 1918, d. 14 June 1918
M, b. circa 1885
- William Hayes was born circa 1885.
- William Hayes married Sophia Jackson circa 1917.
Mary Clementina Haynes
F, b. 15 March 1858, d. 15 July 1932
- Mary Clementina Haynes was born on 15 March 1858 in Rochester, New York, USA.
- At the age of 19 years, 11 months and 12 days, Mary Clementina Haynes married Thomas Lawrence Baker, son of Thomas Baker and Sarah Ann Douglas, on 27 February 1878 in Canada.
- Mary Clementina Haynes and Thomas Lawrence Baker appeared on the census of 3 April 1881 in Gananque, Leeds South, Canada. Thomas is shown as a 23 year old moulder,English, born Nova Scotia, living with his wife Mary, Irish , born USA, and children Lena (Nena), aged 3 Irish, born Ontario and Welsmer (Waldemar) aged 1, Irish, born Ontario. The family were Church of England.
- Mary Clementina Haynes died on 15 July 1932 in Gananoque, Ontario, Canada, at age 74.
Children of Mary Clementina Haynes and Thomas Lawrence Baker
- Nena Clemintina Baker b. 17 May 1878
- Thomas Waldemar Baker+ b. 25 August 1879
- Olga Mary Baker b. 30 November 1881, d. 18 April 1910
- Harrison Haines Baker+ b. 29 March 1884, d. 1968
- George A Baker b. 23 May 1885, d. January 1955
- Florence N B Baker+ b. 27 November 1887, d. 1960
- William Walton Baker+ b. 9 April 1889, d. 23 May 1961
- Lola Abigail Baker b. 20 June 1891, d. 1981
- Wilfred Edgar Baker b. February 1894, d. 4 April 1896
- Garnet Wolseley Baker b. 14 May 1895, d. May 1947
- Victoria Maude Baker b. 26 May 1898, d. 1969
- Edwina Baker b. November 1901, d. 1981
Ellen Rosina Elsie Hayter
F, b. 1912, d. 1991
- Charts: Descendants of Stephen Hooper
- Ellen Rosina Elsie Hayter was born in 1912 in Isle of Wight, Hampshire.
- Her marriage, at 20 years, to Edwin George Berridge, son of William Burridge and Elizabeth James, was registered in the June 1932 Quarter in Isle of Wight, Hampshire Registration District.
- Ellen Rosina Elsie Hayter died in 1991 in Isle of Wight, Hampshire.
F, b. circa 1750
- Jean Hayward was born circa 1750 in West Chinnock.
- Jean Hayward married James Hockey, son of Edmund Hockey and Mary Unknown, on 27 April 1766 in Norton sub Hamdon. Some researchers state the marriage took place in Odcombe. Jean was of West Chinnock.
Children of Jean Hayward and James Hockey
- John Hockey b. 5 March 1767
- James Hockey+ b. 16 June 1769, d. 1846
- Samuel Hockey b. 1771, d. 1773
- Edmund Hockey+ b. 1775, d. September 1856
- Samuel Hockey+ b. circa 1777, d. 21 January 1846
F, b. circa 1905
- May Hayward was born circa 1905.
- Her marriage to Archibald Whittaker, son of Thomas Jenkin Whittaker and Mary Ann Thomas, was registered in the September 1927 Quarter in Pontypridd, Glamorganshire Registration District.
Sarah Mary Haywood
F, b. circa 1875
- Sarah Mary Haywood was born circa 1875.
F, b. circa 1507, d. before 1569
- Ann Hazelwood was born circa 1507. Daughter of Edmond Hazelwood of Northampton and Jane Chaunterell.
- Ann Hazelwood married Sir Arthur Uvedale Knight, son of Sir William Uvedale and Dorothy Troyes, in 1520.
- Ann Hazelwood died before 1569.
Child of Ann Hazelwood and Sir Arthur Uvedale Knight
- Thomas Uvedale Esquire of Colemore & Elenes Court, Doxford+ b. 1530, d. before May 1597
M, b. circa 1850
- Samuel Hazlett was born circa 1850.
- Samuel Hazlett married Elizabeth Stark, daughter of William Stark and Mary Liddel, in 1880 in Queensland.
- In 1890,his wife, Elizabeth Stark died in Queensland.
Annie Ruby Head
F, b. 1906
- Annie Ruby Head was born in 1906 in Queensland. She was the daughter of William Foxall Head and Caroline Johanna Jasse.
- At the age of 23 years, Annie Ruby Head married Holden Victor Browne, son of William Browne and Annie Creighton, in 1929 in Queensland.
- Annie Ruby Head and Holden Victor Browne appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1954 living at Crow's Nest. Holden was a factory manager.
Child of Annie Ruby Head and Holden Victor Browne
- Marion Beryl Browne+ b. 1933, d. 2 February 1985
Edward Steven Head
M, b. 1905
- Edward Steven Head was born in 1905 in Queensland. He was the son of Edward John Head and Sarah McCracken McClure.
- At the age of 22 years, Edward Steven Head married Lilla Maria Welke, daughter of August Ferdinand Welke and Bertha Auguste Louise Stark, in 1927 in Queensland.
Emily Ellen Heale
F, b. 20 March 1896, d. 15 August 1983
- Emily Ellen Heale was born on 20 March 1896 in Ma Ma Creek. She was the daughter of Samuel Heale and Sarah Jane Francis.
- At the age of 20 years, 3 months and 1 day, Emily Ellen Heale married Ernest Harold Kidman, son of Samuel Kidman and Ann Cogan, on 21 June 1916 in Queensland.
- On 2 October 1935,her husband, Ernest Harold Kidman died in Queensland at age 45.
- Emily Ellen Heale died on 15 August 1983 in Queensland at age 87.
- Emily was cremated in Brisbane Cremetorium Her ashes are buried with her husband Ernest in Nanago Cemetery.
William Augustus Healey
M, b. 1890, d. 19 August 1961
- William Augustus Healey was born in 1890 in Queensland. He was the son of William Augustus Healey and Elizabeth Mary Wright.
- He was the son of William Augustus Healey and Elizabeth Mary Wright.
- At the age of 28 years, William Augustus Healey married Hilda Ruby Parton, daughter of William Parton and Ethel Matilda Perkins, in 1918 in Queensland. They lived in Eumundi, GGayndah, Mt Morgan and Rockhampton.
- William Augustus Healey died on 19 August 1961 in Queensland.
William Augustus Healey
M, b. circa 1860, d. 1922
- William Augustus Healey was born circa 1860. He was the son of Thomas Healey and Mary Ann Hall.
- William Augustus Healey married Elizabeth Mary Wright in 1890 in Queensland.
- William Augustus Healey and Elizabeth Mary Wright appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1905 living at Koorjarewon (Highfields). William was a school teacher.
- William Augustus Healey died in 1922 in Queensland.
Child of William Augustus Healey and Elizabeth Mary Wright
- William Augustus Healey b. 1890, d. 19 August 1961
M, b. circa 1910
- Andrew Healy was born circa 1910.
- Andrew Healy married Mary Flanagan circa 1930.
F, b. 1820, d. 25 September 1902
- Ellen Healy was born in 1820 in Cork, Ireland. She was the daughter of Michael Healy and perhaps Honora.
- At the age of 20 years, Ellen Healy married Daniel Hurley on 3 February 1840 in Co Cork, Ireland.
- Ellen Healy and Daniel Hurley immigrated to Sydney on 29 April 1844. Daniel 31, a farm labourer and Ellen 22 a farm servant arrived on the Elizabeth with their daughter Christina aged 2. Ellen was from Tunicarra, County Cork and gave her parents as Michael and Honora Healey - both alive. Michael was from Killone, County Cork and gave his parents as Dennis and Christina Williamson?
- On 6 May 1877,her husband, Daniel Hurley died in Queensland.
- Ellen Healy died on 25 September 1902 in Evergreen, Queensland.
Children of Ellen Healy and Daniel Hurley
- Christina Hurley b. 12 November 1841, d. 1898
- Denis Hurley b. 1844
- Michael Hurley+ b. 12 September 1845, d. 20 October 1902
- Mary Hurley b. 1848, d. 16 March 1936
- Honora Hurley b. 1849
- Ellen Hurley+ b. 29 August 1851, d. 6 August 1933
- Margaret Hurley b. 1854, d. 1925
Roy Leslie Healy
M, b. 1898
- Charts: Descendants of Charles Eyles
- Roy Leslie Healy was born in 1898 in Queensland. He was the son of John Healy and Elizabeth Bradford.
- At the age of 35 years, Roy Leslie Healy married Coral Ailsa Lane, daughter of Eli Solomon Hillier Lane and Emily Ellen Burgess, on 15 June 1933 in Queensland.
F, b. circa 1845, d. 1910
- Catherine Heaps was born circa 1845. She was the daughter of James HEAPS and Jane BATHGATE.
- Catherine Heaps married Archibald Auld circa 1858.
- In 1885,her husband, Archibald Auld died in Queensland.
- Catherine Heaps died in 1910 in Queensland.
Children of Catherine Heaps and Archibald Auld
- Agnes Auld b. 1859
- James Auld b. circa 1861, d. 1935
- Thomas Auld b. 1863, d. 1920
- Mary Auld b. circa 1865, d. 1957
- Margaret Auld+ b. 28 October 1867, d. 5 October 1955
- Andrew Auld b. 1870, d. 1894
- Robert Auld b. 1870, d. 1952
- William Auld+ b. 1872, d. 1 September 1953
- John Auld b. 1874, d. 1953
- Archibald Auld b. 1875, d. 1946
- Catherine Auld b. 1876, d. 1938
F, b. 1894
- Jane Hear was born in 1894 in New South Wales.
- She was the daughter of Samuel Hear and Jane McMullen Dunn.
M, d. 1902
- Samuel Hear married Eleanor C Unknown.
- Samuel Hear married Jane McMullen Dunn in 1890 in New South Wales.
- Samuel Hear died in 1902 in New South Wales.
Child of Samuel Hear and Jane McMullen Dunn
- Jane Hear b. 1894